[gmx-users] Re: additional bond description (isopeptide bond) between two chains

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Feb 12 14:41:31 CET 2013

On 2/12/13 8:37 AM, durdagis wrote:
> Justin, it's not the artifacts of visualization program. At the beginning
> distance for isopeptide bond is 1.38 Angs (and it's defined at the
> specbond.dat);
>
> LYS     NZ      1       GLY     C       1       0.13    LYQ GLQ
>
> together with energy minimization this distance increases to around 3.0
> Angs.  (with normal termination).

OK, this was not clear from the picture you showed.  The text in the
representation is not very legible, so it seemed like the bond length was
normal.  If, after energy minimization, the bond length is incorrect, you should
stop and investigate its source:

1. Is the bond present in the topology?  Bonds can only occur within a single
[moleculetype] so multiple chains must be merged appropriately with pdb2gmx options.
2. Are you using constraints during EM?

> However, when I continue to run for md sim. I am getting several LINCS
> warnings (actually these relative constr. deviations are not at the
> isopeptide bond).
>
> Any suggestions how to handle this problem?

> Step 0, time 0 (ps)  LINCS WARNING
> relative constraint deviation after LINCS:
> rms 0.031846, max 1.324710 (between atoms 4480 and 4482)
> bonds that rotated more than 30 degrees:
>   atom 1 atom 2  angle  previous, current, constraint length
>
> Back Off! I just backed up step0b.pdb to ./#step0b.pdb.3#
>
> Back Off! I just backed up step0c.pdb to ./#step0c.pdb.3#
> Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates
>
> Step 0, time 0 (ps)  LINCS WARNING
> relative constraint deviation after LINCS:
> rms 0.038596, max 1.704050 (between atoms 4504 and 4506)
> bonds that rotated more than 30 degrees:
>   atom 1 atom 2  angle  previous, current, constraint length
>     4531   4546   57.3    0.2247   0.2305      0.1522
>     4531   4533   57.8    0.2243   0.2225      0.1526

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080