[gmx-users] Statistical uncertainty in gromacs

Matthew Zwier mczwier at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 16:48:28 CET 2013

Hi,

I don't know of a GROMACS tool to do this. g_analyze may work (see manual
page, option "-ee"), if you can generate a time series of A to look at.

That said, what you've described is a classic propagation of error problem.
If uncertainties are small and likely to be symmetric about the mean, then
you can analytically calculate the uncertainty in A in terms of the
uncertainties on the input quantities. If the uncertainties are not small
or are very asymmetric about the mean, then something like bootstrapping
may be in order. Information on both of these is readily available on the
web (now that you have a few keywords to search for).

Cheers,
Matt Zwier