[gmx-users] Gromacs 4.6 crashes w/AVX acceleration on cygwin

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Wed Feb 27 21:21:24 CET 2013

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed information!

The only reason why cygwin is cumbersome is that we are not testing it
actively, have we had a developer or contributor working with cygwin there
would be no issues.

In any case, especially because there is performance involved, we should
try to get the AVX issue solved. First and foremost, would you mind filing
a redmine issue on the issue (or if you consider the dll problem annoying,
feel free to file a second one).

However, before filing the AVX bug report, please try the following:
- A newer gcc, preferably 4.7; although in *nix 4.5 seems to work with AVX,
it's best if we have things tested with the latest gcc.
- SSE4.1 acceleration; beside that this should be faster than SSE2, but if
that doesn't work either something is seriously broken.

If you manage to get performance numbers with the above, please provide
them, here for the sake of completeness. I would be surprised if VS2010
would outperform gcc 4.7, though.

Cheers,

--
Szilárd