[gmx-users] LINCS WARNING - Protein-Membrane-system

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jan 1 16:57:13 CET 2013

On 1/1/13 10:53 AM, Shima Arasteh wrote:

>   If I tell you that I changed the constraints and now the NVT is running, would that be ok? However I don't know the scientific reason of this incident!
>
> But I bring you the EM.mdp as follow:
> define         = -DSTRONG_POSRES
> integrator    = steep        ; Algorithm (steep = steepest descent minimization)
> emtol        = 100.0      ; Stop minimization when the maximum force < 100.0 kJ/mol/nm
> emstep            = 0.01      ; Energy step size
> nsteps        = 50000          ; Maximum number of (minimization) steps to perform
> ; Parameters describing how to find the neighbors of each atom and how to calculate the interactions
> nstlist        = 1            ; Frequency to update the neighbor list and long range forces
> ns_type        = grid        ; Method to determine neighbor list (simple, grid)
> rlist        = 1.2        ; Cut-off for making neighbor list (short range forces)
> coulombtype    = PME        ; Treatment of long range electrostatic interactions
> rcoulomb    = 1.2        ; Short-range electrostatic cut-off
> rvdw        = 1.2        ; Short-range Van der Waals cut-off
> pbc        = xyz         ; Periodic Boundary Conditions
>

> And the NVT.mdp as follow (after change of all-bond constraint to h-bond):
> title        = NVT equilibration for dimer-POPC   -  CHARMM36
> define        = -DPOSRES    ; Protein is position restrained (uses the posres.itp file information)
> ; Parameters describing the details of the NVT simulation protocol
> integrator    = md        ; Algorithm ("md" = molecular dynamics [leap-frog integrator]; "md-vv" = md using velocity verlet; sd = stochastic dynamics)
> dt        = 0.002        ; Time-step (ps)
> nsteps        = 50000    ; Number of steps to run (0.002 * 50000 = 100 ps)
>
> ; Parameters controlling output writing
> nstxout        = 1        ; Write coordinates to output .trr file every 2 ps
> nstvout        = 1000        ; Write velocities to output .trr file every 2 ps
> nstenergy    = 1000        ; Write energies to output .edr file every 2 ps
> nstlog        = 1000        ; Write output to .log file every 2 ps
> ; Parameters describing neighbors searching and details about interaction calculations
> ns_type        = grid        ; Neighbor list search method (simple, grid)
> nstlist        = 5        ; Neighbor list update frequency (after every given number of steps)
> rlist        = 1.2        ; Neighbor list search cut-off distance (nm)
> rlistlong       = 1.4
> rcoulomb    = 1.2        ; Short-range Coulombic interactions cut-off distance (nm)
> rvdw        = 1.2        ; Short-range van der Waals cutoff distance (nm)
> pbc        = xyz        ; Direction in which to use Perodic Boundary Conditions (xyz, xy, no)
> vdwtype         = switch
> rvdw_switch     = 0.8
> ; Parameters for treating bonded interactions
> continuation    = no        ; Whether a fresh start or a continuation from a previous run (yes/no)
> [...]

Yes, the problem is the constraints.  You minimized without any, and then
constrained all bonds during NVT.  During EM, you can get bad geometry sometimes
when atomic clashes force atoms to move in bad ways.  Without constraints, mdrun
doesn't object to these deformations.  Then, as you see from step zero of the
NVT, trying to apply constraints to these bad areas immediately fails.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080