[gmx-users] Linear CG beads, grompp doesn't work

Xu Dong Huang xudongh at eden.rutgers.edu
Wed Jan 2 04:51:50 CET 2013

@Justin,

Does the philosophy described in your tutorial apply to CG martini bead models where 1 bead describes the entire CO2 atom? (If I were to do that, assuming)

Xu Dong Huang
Chemical & Biochemical Engineering
Rutgers School of Engineering
xudongh at eden.rutgers.edu

On Jan 1, 2013, at 10:46 PM, Xu Dong Huang <xudongh at eden.rutgers.edu> wrote:

> Dear Justin,
>
> My .itp does not contain angles or dihedrals because we are simply interested in the very simple generic case of a linear (what we assume by defining a coordinate file of linear beads) polymer model. I will go through the tutorial and try to see if it resolves my issue.
>

> Xu Dong Huang
> Chemical & Biochemical Engineering
> Rutgers School of Engineering
> xudongh at eden.rutgers.edu
>
> On Jan 1, 2013, at 10:38 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 1/1/13 10:33 PM, Xu Dong Huang wrote:
>>> Dear advanced gromac users,
>>>
>>> I am trying to simulate a long linear chain of polymer using CG beads. (about 200 beads), all with same type charge interactions. (examples shown:) I read on previous gromacs mailing list that linear systems with same charges make the system unstable? But is there anyway to go around that?
>>>

>> It's the angles that make the system unstable.  One can use virtual sites to get around the issue.  There is a trivial example in a tutorial I wrote:
>>
>> http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/vsites/index.html
>>
>> The bigger question is whether or not the angles in the molecule impose linearity, or whether the initial configuration is simply a line of particles that may deviate according to angle and dihedral potentials.  You haven't shown the [angles] or [dihedrals] directives, so it's not clear what you're intending, exactly.
>>
>>> [atoms]
>>> 1	P3	O1	mon	1	0.00
>>> 2	P3	O1	mon	2	0.00
>>> 3	P3	O1	mon	3	0.00