[gmx-users] gromacs on GPU

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Wed Jan 9 18:51:47 CET 2013

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 9:17 AM, James Starlight <jmsstarlight at gmail.com>wrote:

> As I understood that gromacs version already has included openMM so
> the installation of the external openMM sources is not needed, isnt it
> ?

The manual and wiki guides are meant to be read. Although they are a bit
dated, the main body of information is still valid. Please read the
documentation; aka RT(F)M:
http://www.gromacs.org/gpu#Compiling_and_installation_of_GROMACS-GPU_from_source

> also I wounder to know what exactly CUDA version is needed ? For
> example I've tried lattest cuda-5.0 but with that version i've obtain
> error from mdrun-openmm that platform cuda was not detected (gromacs
> was compilated without any errors). I've seen that erorr in other
> posts in the mailing list but could not found any possible sollutions.

It surely works with the (admittedly dated) versions the docs suggest,
you mileage may vary with other versions, but in principle everything
should work with the latest compilers, CUDA, and OpenMM (myself and others
have built and ran successfully).

> by the way is it possible to compilate gromacs-4.6 agains other
> platgorm ( e.g openCL) ? I have no problems with the compatibility of

the openCL and openMM.

No, RTM. OpenMM does have an OpenCL plugin, but that's not supported in
GROMACS, if you want to use it you'll have to write your own code around
the OpenMM library. We
have no resources to implement it ATM, but as GROMACS is OSS anyone is
welcome to contribute it.

And let me reiterate, if you're running explicit solvent you should be
using the native GPU acceleration as you've been told before.

Cheers,
Szilard