[gmx-users] The number of lipids

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jan 11 03:13:26 CET 2013

On 1/10/13 8:03 PM, Kieu Thu Nguyen wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I see in MD simulations, the number of lipids is 128 or multiples of 128.
> Can someone tell me why ?

Probably convenience (easy to create 8 x 8 grid for each layer) and adequate
sampling.

> Whether can i choose another number of lipids ?

Sure, if you can produce a suitable configuration and gather sufficient data.
Carving out a subset of lipids from an existing bilayer is hard because you
probably won't get a regular shape, but you can create your own bilayers if you
like.  If you want more lipids, you can multiply any existing bilayer simply by
using genconf -nbox.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080