[gmx-users] question about dihedral constraints

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jan 11 03:34:54 CET 2013

On 1/10/13 9:28 PM, Tom wrote:
> Dear Gromacs Users,
>
> I want to use dihedral constraint in gmx.

First, you should understand that constraints and restraints refer to very
different ideas:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Constraints_and_Restraints

> I directly type the following onto my  topol.top file :
> --------------------------------------
> [ dihedral_restraints ]
> ; ai   aj    ak    al  type  label  phi  dphi  kfac  power
> ; phi C'(n-1) - N - CA - C'
>     506    505     502    503     1      1  180     0     1      2
> --------------------------------------
>
> Do I also need to add these to *mdp file?
> ---------------------------------------
> dihre                     = yes
> dihre_fc                  = 15000
> -------------------------------------

Everything you need to know is either in the manual or on the website:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Dihedral_Restraints

> Because I only need to contraint some of the dihedrals,
> I will  not constraints all of them.
> If I add the above on  *mdp file, will all the dihedrals be constrainted?

A simple test should be very illuminating.  You will get a dihedral restraint
energy written to the .log and .edr files, and either your dihedral will be
restrained or not (easily measured by g_angle).

> Another quesiton is what is the format of this dihedral constraints
> on *rtp file? How about the angle constraints? That would save a lot
> of work if pdb2gmx can automatically add these constraints to *top file.

That's what genrestr is for.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080