[gmx-users] Steepest Descents converged to machine precision in 7559 steps, but did not reach the requested Fmax < 100.

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jan 28 12:26:45 CET 2013

On 1/27/13 11:53 PM, Ewaru wrote:
> Dear Gromacs experts,
>
> I am running gromacs for the first time, and this is my em.mdp file.
>
> define = -DFLEXIBLE
> constraints = none
> integrator = steep
> dt = 0.01 ; ps !
> nstlist = 10
> ns_type = grid
> rlist = 1.0
> coulombtype = PME
> rcoulomb = 1.0
> vdwtype = cut-off
> rvdw = 1.4
> fourierspacing = 0.12
> fourier_nx = 0
> fourier_ny = 0
> fourier_nz = 0
> pme_order = 4
> ewald_rtol = 1e-5
> optimize_fft = yes
> DispCorr = EnerPres
> nsteps                   = 10000
> nstenergy       = 1000
> nstxtcout       = 1000
> ;
> ; Energy minimizing stuff
> ;
> emtol = 100.0
> emstep = 0.01
>

> Unfortunately, when running mdrun, I obtained this "Steepest Descents
> converged to machine precision in 7559 steps, but did not reach the
> requested Fmax < 100."
>
> Please, can somebody tell me what do I need to change in order for it to run
> until the requested steps? Also, the RMSD graph obtained does not begins
> from zero (how can I make it to?) and it does not converge.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors#Stepsize_too_small.2c_or_no_change_in_energy._Converged_to_machine_precision.2c_but_not_to_the_requested_precision

Regarding the RMSD, it probably won't converge during EM since the structure
changes at every step.  Without seeing your actual command and the snippet of
the .xvg file showing the starting value, it's impossible to say why it doesn't
start at zero.  If it is a very small value (i.e. 1e-4 or less) and not exactly
zero, you can consider that to be effectively zero.  Just one of the quirks of
floating-point math.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080