[gmx-users] energy-minimisation problem

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jan 29 14:35:40 CET 2013

On 1/29/13 4:43 AM, SANTU BISWAS wrote:
> dear users,
>
>                I am performing an energy minimization of
> polypeptide(formed by 10-residues of alanine, lysine,leucine,glutamic
> acid ) in vacuum box by using
> Steepest Descent(initially) and then Conjugate Gradient methods in
> gromacs_4.5.5_doubleprecision
> using charmm-27 force field for all system.I saw that for lysine and
> alanine potential energy
> value is positive but for leucine and glutamic acid potential energy
> value is nagative for both energy-
> minimisation methods.
> I do not understand why this is happening.

How are you extracting this information?  You don't even have energygrps set in
the .mdp file, so I'm not sure how you've got energies per amino acid, which are
relatively useless numbers anyway.  In vacuo, you probably have a lot of
unsatisfied interactions that would not occur in the condensed phase.  Positive
potential energies can thus arise.  As long as the EM converged to an acceptable
value of Fmax, that's what you should be most concerned with.

-Justin

> Input file for energy-minimisation is
>
> ;title                    =
> cpp                     = /lib/cpp