[gmx-users] how to deal with LINCS warnings despite prolonged stabilization of the system?

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 11:15:25 CEST 2013

This kind of instability boils down to "if the starting configuration
and model physics are capable of running a stable simulation, you're
being too rough with it" - as
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Blowing_Up says using
different words.

Each time one changes the ensemble, that's rough. Using position
restraints can be useful while getting the temperature close to right,
but just switching them off can be too rough. Consider lowering the
force constant over several stages. Switch barostat algorithm only
when restraints have been off in the previous stage.

For that matter, each time step is rough - use a smaller one for
equilibration than for production. 0.5fs can be necessary while things
stabilize. Or turn off constraints temporarily and go even shorter.

Mark