[gmx-users] fftw compile error for 4.6.2

Oliver Schillinger o.rusche at fz-juelich.de
Thu Jul 4 10:43:45 CEST 2013

It seems that GROMACS is looking for a shared library, but you compiled
FFTW statically (--enable-static). Either recompile FFTW --enable-shared
or link GROMACS statically by passing -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF to cmake.

On our cluster I had problems compiling the MPI version of GROMACS with
dynamic libraries. It did not work out of the box, google did not help
much and out of frustration I ended up using static libraries. I
remember having a similar error message as yours: fftwf_plan_r2r_1d not
found, but I could verify that this function was present in the symbol
table of the shared fftw library. So I think it is a bug.
Note: Static linking makes you GROMACS installation about 10 times as big.

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Schillinger