[gmx-users] Umbrella sampling- force vs time plots

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jul 9 22:51:28 CEST 2013

On 7/9/13 12:56 PM, rookie417 wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to understand the force vs time plots using Gromacs' umbrella
> sampling method. I am trying to pull a short polymer chain from the interior
> of a micelle and see what the PMF looks like. I use the following parameters
> to run the pulling simulation for 500ps to pull the polymer over a distance
> of 5nm:
>
> pull=umbrella
> pull_geometry=direction
> pull_vec1=1 0 0
> pull_start=yes
> pull_ngroups=1
> pull_group0=surf
> pull_group1=poly
> pull_rate1=0.01
> pull_k1=1000

Note that what you're doing is not umbrella sampling, but steered MD, which is a
nonequilibrium process.  The "umbrella" pulling method is unfortunately named,
as it is just a harmonic potential.  Umbrella sampling is a separate procedure,
one that uses the "umbrella" method and zero pull rate.

> After the simulation, pullf.xvg plot I obtained is a linearly increasing
> plot with time and similar result when pull_rate1=0.001 nm per ps. I am not
> sure if this is right. My question is, on what basis do we select the
> optimum pull_rate1 and pull_k1 for a particular system? Or is it just a
> choice of parameters as long as the system does not deform? How does an

Basically, yes.  No one (to my knowledge) has done a systematic study of such
parameters.  I suspect that is because they are largely dependent upon the
system and the interactions you are trying to disrupt.

> ideal force-time plot look like and does the choice of pull_k1 affect the
> histogram?  It appears, the entire procedure depends on the choice of input
> of these two variables. I would greatly appreciate if someone can explain
> this concept.

There will be an initial increase in force until restoring forces are overcome,
at which point forces decrease and level off.  I don't know about a comparison
of force constants, but I suspect the result should be similar to varying the
pull rate.  The progression will be steeper with faster pulling or a harder
force constant, more shallow with slow pulling or a soft constant.  We addressed
this topic in the supporting information for
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp9110794.

Postdoctoral Associate

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy