[gmx-users] defining impropers necessary?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jul 17 16:48:14 CEST 2013

On 7/17/13 10:37 AM, gromacs query wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have some polymer having peptide bond and want to use OPLSaa. I was
> following Justin's example for building polymers
> http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2009-March/040125.html
>
> I have few queries:
>
> 1) do I need to define improper for peptide in .rtp file to keep it planar?

If the parent force field uses these terms, yes.

> 2) Also can pdb2gmx write improper by itself (in out .top file) depending
> upon bond information and atom types defined in rtp file? Then there will
> be no need to define impropers in rtp

There's an easy way to find out :)  Otherwise, if you know what you want,
specify it and be 100% certain.

> 3) Also can I use + before atom name more than once in one residue
> (fragmented polymer)

My gut says yes, but a real example would be helpful.  You can certainly use the
+ indicator on multiple lines and (I think) even within the same line.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601