[gmx-users] Multi-level parallelization: MPI + OpenMP

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Fri Jul 19 14:56:25 CEST 2013

Depending on the level of parallelization (number of nodes and number
of particles/core) you may want to try:

- 2 ranks/node: 8 cores + 1 GPU, no separate PME (default):
  mpirun -np 2*Nnodes mdrun_mpi [-gpu_id 01 -npme 0]

- 4 ranks per node: 4 cores + 1 GPU (shared between two ranks), no separate PME
  mpirun -np 4*Nnodes mdrun_mpi -gpu_id 0011 [-npme 0]

- 4 ranks per node, 2 PP/2PME: 4 cores + 1 GPU (not shared), separate PME
  mpirun -np 4*Nnodes mdrun_mpi [-gpu_id 01] -npme 2*Nnodes

- at high parallelization you may want to try (especially with
homogeneous systems) 8 ranks per node

Cheers,
--
Szilárd