[gmx-users] Initial cell size is smaller than the cell size limit..

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jul 22 11:32:42 CEST 2013

On 7/22/13 1:20 AM, Kavyashree M wrote:
> Dear users,
>
> While running a ligand bound MD using AMber03 force field. I got the
> following error
> after ~ 4.9 ns
> The initial cell size (1.247705) is smaller than the cell size limit
> (1.586683), change options -dd, -rdd or -rcon, see the log file for details
>
> Initially I ran using 64 nodes (till 3.3ns). later on I shifted the
> trajectory to another
> machine and ran using 8 cores. It ran fine till 4.926ns. Suddenly it
> stopped with the above error.
>
> Kindly provide some guidance.

You can't necessarily parallelize a system across any arbitrary number of cores.
  The DD algorithm sets certain size limitations on the cells, which you are
violating during the simulation.  A slight reduction in the number of cores
should solve the issue (though you can't restart from a checkpoint and may have
to start the run over).

For a more detailed explanation of the error message, check the archive - the
algorithm, the settings, and factors governing cell size have all been discussed
before in reference to the same error.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy