[gmx-users] Running GROMACS on mini GPU cluster

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Mon Jul 29 20:20:43 CEST 2013

The message is perfectly normal. When you do not use all available
cores/hardware threads (seen as "CPUs" by the OS), to avoid potential
clashes, mdrun does not pin threads (i.e. it lets the OS migrate
threads). On NUMA systems (most multi-CPU machines), this will cause
performance degradation as without pinning the OS can move tightly
coupled threads belonging to the same process/MPI rank to different
NUMA regions (e.g. cores on different CPU sockets).

With four physical cores the machines in question are most probably
single-processor and for these pinning will not improve performance by
much (if at all).

Cheers,
--
Szilárd