[gmx-users] Box dimension size errors in MARTINI soft core simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jul 29 22:39:52 CEST 2013

On 7/29/13 2:12 PM, Scott Pendley wrote:
> Thank you, Justin.  I am using gromacs version 4.5.5 and have attached .mdp
> file.  I followed your advise and pointer to trouble shooting the system

The mailing list does not accept attachments.  Please either copy and paste its
contents or provide a link from which it can be downloaded.

> and decomposed the energy to find potential sources for the problem.  The
> simulation ran for 978 ps, the total energy changed from approximately
> -13000 kj/mol to -15000 kj/mol and plateau'ed out around 900 ps without a
> big energy blow-out.  The majority of the change in energy was from the LJ
> contribution which is the expected source with the disappearing atoms of my
> ligand.  Of more concern is the change in box coordinates/shape.      The
> simulation cell starts with dimensions 9.45nm x 9.45nm x 9.45nm and ends at
> 2.8 x 2.8 x 45.8 nm which does seem to give rise to the error that I
> originally noted.  While some change in volume and cell dimensions is
> expected, these changes seems to be a focused solely on expanding along the
> Z-coordinate.  Is there any way to constrain the ratio of x:y:z coordinates
> during npt simulations or do you know of something that I may be missing in
> my simulations?

The magnitude of change you're seeing suggests extreme instability and thus
there is no real "hack" to simply "make it work."  Isotropic pressure coupling
is normally sufficient for this purpose, but something seems to be going very
wrong in your system.  The complete .mdp file, and a description of what your
ligand is (or at least how big) would be helpful.  You've got a very large box
for what one would normally consider a "ligand."

-Justin