[gmx-users] constant force pulling

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jul 29 22:43:28 CEST 2013

On 7/29/13 2:42 PM, kim2811 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to pull/separate a protein dimer by applying constant force in
> my SMD. The dimer has dimension 9 x 8 x 5 nm^3, and I'm trying to pull in
> the y-direction so I have set the box as 12 x 40 x 8 nm^3. I have also set
> my simulation to run for 5 ns. However, after only 251 ps, I got this fatal
> error:
>
>    Distance of pull group 1 (3.958423 nm) is larger than 0.49 times the box
> size (16.314939)

This appears to be a minor output bug.  The violation occurs in the z-dimension,
since 0.49 * 8 = 3.92.

> Can somebody please interpret this error? When I checked the trajectory, the
> protein seems to be inside the box or at least the COM of the dimer is near
> the center of the box, so the protein approaching near the boundary can't be
> the reason for this error. If it can help to clarify, here's my pull code:
>
> ; Pull code
> pull            = constant_force
> pull_geometry   = direction  ; pull in the direction of pull code
> pull_dim        = Y Y Y

Note that pull_dim should be ignored here, you only need pull_vec1.  The code
should interpret the .mdp contents correctly, though.

-Justin

> pull_start      = yes       ; define initial COM distance > 0
> pull_ngroups    = 1
> pull_group0     = chain_A  ; C-terminal of Protein 1
> pull_group1     = chain_B  ; C-terminal of Protein 2
> pull_k1         = -500      ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-1
> pull_vec1       = 0 1 0
>
> Thank you.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences