[gmx-users] g_hbond and contact

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Mar 4 17:35:50 CET 2013

On 3/4/13 11:25 AM, Kavyashree M wrote:
> Dear users,
>
> I used the following tool for finding the contacts
> g_hbond_46 -f a.xtc -s a.tpr -contact -n a.ndx -r 0.4 -hbm a.xpm -hbn a.ndx
> -num a.xvg
>>From the index file, the number of contacts of each atom was extracted.
> This and the
> xvg output was compared with another simulation.
> It was found that the number of contacts was more in 2nd simulation
> compared to
> the first. But When I compared xvg file it was showing the opposite
> behaviour.

These statements don't make any sense.  How did you determine that the number of
contacts in simulation 2 was greater than simulation 1, but then the .xvg files
showed the opposite?  The number of contacts come from the .xvg files?  Perhaps
you simply swapped your files during analysis.

> The contacts was also calculated using g_mdmat for the same cutoff and it
> was agreeing
> with the numbers I got from in index output of g_hbond.
>
> Why is this difference in index and xvg output?

An index group is a list of atom numbers.  The .xvg output is whatever you tell
it to be, in this case, the number of contacts within the group selected.

-Justin

> Also the xvg file looks like -
>
> s0 legend "Contacts"
> @ s1 legend "Pairs within 0.4 nm"