[gmx-users] how to get pdb2gmx to use an arbitrarily located forcefield.ff directory?

Christopher Neale chris.neale at mail.utoronto.ca
Tue Mar 5 22:59:42 CET 2013

Thank you, Francesco, for the assistance. However, I still can not get it to work (see below). Can you please specify exactly what you have done and perhaps show a listing of the directory structure?

My command was: pdb2gmx -f protein.pdb -ff charmm36

I tried this in a number of ways, all eventually failed:

neither GMXLIB or GMXDATA set:
Error: "Could not find force field 'charmm36' in current directory, install tree or GMXDATA path."

# define GMXDATA
export GMXLIB=""
export GMXDATA=~/gromacs/CHARMM36/share
Error: "Could not find force field 'charmm36' in current directory, install tree or GMXDATA path."

# define GMXLIB:
export GMXLIB=~/gromacs/CHARMM36/share/gromacs/top
export GMXDATA=""
the charmm36 ff is found, but after selecting a water model, I get:
Error: "Library file residuetypes.dat not found in current dir nor in your GMXLIB path."

# define both:
export GMXDATA=~/gromacs/CHARMM36/share
export GMXLIB=~/gromacs/CHARMM36/share/gromacs/top
the charmm36 ff is found, but after selecting a water model, I get:
Error: "Library file residuetypes.dat not found in current dir nor in your GMXLIB path."

# set GMXLIB to the regular installation:
export GMXDATA=~/gromacs/CHARMM36/share
export GMXLIB=/usr/local/gromacs-4.5.5/share/gromacs/top/
Error: "Could not find force field 'charmm36' in current directory, install tree or GMXDATA path."

# the reverse of the idea above:
export GMXDATA=/usr/local/gromacs-4.5.5/share
export GMXLIB=~/gromacs/CHARMM36/share/gromacs/top
Error: "Library file residuetypes.dat not found in current dir nor in your GMXLIB path."

Here is a listing of the artificial directory structure that I created to try to get this to work:

[nealec at pegasus check]$ ls ~/gromacs/CHARMM36/
share
[nealec at pegasus check]$ ls ~/gromacs/CHARMM36/share/
gromacs
[nealec at pegasus check]$ ls ~/gromacs/CHARMM36/share/gromacs/
top
[nealec at pegasus check]$ ls ~/gromacs/CHARMM36/share/gromacs/top/
charmm36.ff
[nealec at pegasus check]$ ls ~/gromacs/CHARMM36/share/gromacs/top/charmm36.ff/
aminoacids.arn    aminoacids.n.tdb  aminoacids.vsd  dna.arn    dna.n.tdb     ffnabonded.itp     forcefield.doc  ions.itp    popc.itp   rna.hdb    rna.rtp   tip3p.itp   watermodels.dat
aminoacids.c.tdb  aminoacids.r2b    atomtypes.atp   dna.c.tdb  dna.rtp       ffnanonbonded.itp  forcefield.itp  lipids.hdb  rna.arn    rna.n.tdb  spce.itp  tip4p.itp
aminoacids.hdb    aminoacids.rtp    cmap.itp        dna.hdb    ffbonded.itp  ffnonbonded.itp    gb.itp          lipids.rtp  rna.c.tdb  rna.r2b    spc.itp   tips3p.itp

Thank you,
Chris.