[gmx-users] problem with a complex cofactor

Anna Marabotti amarabotti at unisa.it
Wed Mar 6 12:29:07 CET 2013

Dear gmx-users,

I'm working on a protein of the family of green fluorescent proteins,
which has a cofactor formed by the rearrangement of three residues that
cyclized forming a complex heterocyclic fluorescent probe. This probe is
covalently bound to the protein and is part of the backbone; in the PDB
file it is marked as HETATM in the middle of the protein sequence which
is: ...S61-H62-V63-CFY66-H68...

I really do not know how to deal with the topology of this residue and
with the fact that the protein sequence is interrupted. I don't know if
I have to manage this residue as a new residue to be added in the force
field; please take into account that this residue is bound to V63 and
H68 with covalent bonds similar, but not strictly identical, to peptide
bonds. I found in the gmx-users archive a suggestion about how to manage
the topology of a Lysine bound to pyridoxal phosphate, but that
situation is different from mine, since Lysine is a "regular" residue
"regularly" forming peptide bonds with its adjacent residues, and which
is attached to PLP with its terminal side chain NZ atom, whereas in my
case a heterocyclic molecules is forming peptide-like bonds with
adjacent residues. Moreover, mine is not the case of a N-ter or a C-ter
residue somehow modified: this heterocyclic compound is in the middle of
protein sequence.

Can somebody suggest me a strategy on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance and best regards

Anna

Anna Marabotti, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Chemistry and Biology
University of Salerno
Via Ponte don Melillo
84084 Fisciano (SA)
Italy
Phone: +39 089 969583
Fax: +39 089 969603
E-mail: amarabotti at unisa.it
Skype: annam1972

"When a man with a gun meets a man with a pen, the man with the gun is a dead man"
(Roberto Benigni, about Roberto Saviano)