[gmx-users] template parallelization

Erik Marklund erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Mar 14 14:45:12 CET 2013

Do you really mean compile time? If so, issue make -j X (where x is
the number of jobs used for building).

If you mean runtime then the easiest thing is to split your trajectory
in parts and run the processes in parallel, then patch the results
together. That's if the calculations can be done on a per-frame basis
(i.e. embarrassingly parallelizable problems). Next in line is to wrap
some performance critical loop(s) in OpenMP pragmas and link to the
OpenMP libraries on your system. If you want others to benefit from
the code you should adhere to the parallelization framework in
gromacs, e.g. use gromacs' wrappers and preprocessor directives for
OpenMP and MPI magic. The latter may be more trouble than it's worth
if your analysis is only for a limited userbase. There is a framework
underway in gromacs for parallel analysis tools, but as far as I know
it's not finalized yet.

Erik