[gmx-users] implicit solvation

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 10:05:23 CET 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 9:28 AM, <preetichoudhary at iisermohali.ac.in> wrote:

> hi,
> I am trying to simulate a 50 residue protein in implicit water.Can anyone
> tell me that why we usually set the cuttoff to be 0.

See pbc = no in chapter 7.

> coulombtype = Cut-off
> vdwtype = Cut-off
> nstype = grid
> nstlist = 0
> rlist = 0
> rcoulomb = 0
> rvdw = 0.
> I HAVE SEEN THAT PEOPLE KEEP NO CONSTRAINTS ON THE SYSTEM.Can you explain
> why this is being done.

They think that makes for a good model physics for their objective. You
need to make a decision here too. See below.

> Also we dont need to do nvt and npt equlibration here.

You can and should treat some period of time as equilibration. Whether you
need to do it in a different call to mdrun is a different question. NPT
with no box wouldn't make much sense...

> We dont neutralise
> our system too.

Where would you like the neutralizing atoms to go in your implicit solvent?

> But it keeps on showing in note:
> NOTE 1 [file topol.top, line 7412]:
>   System has non-zero total charge: -2.000000
>   Total charge should normally be an integer. See
>   http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Floating_Point_Arithmetic
>   for discussion on how close it should be to an integer.

Check out some textbook material on implicit solvation with the model
you're using and see if net charge on the solute is a problem. Likely not.

> Correct me if I am wrong.
> Also while doing production run,I am getting this error:-
> WARNING 1 [file topol.top, line 7412]:
>   The bond in molecule-type Protein_chain_W between atoms 17 OG and 18 HG
>   has an estimated oscillational period of 9.0e-03 ps, which is less than 5
>   times the time step of 2.0e-03 ps.
>   Maybe you forgot to change the constraints mdp option.

Like it says, the decisions about using constraints and the size of the
time step are linked. See manual 6.7 for introductory discussion.