[gmx-users] Treating electrostatics and van der Waals interactions differently

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Fri Mar 15 19:50:28 CET 2013

On 2013-03-15 19:27, Jeff Woodford wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am attempting to simulate a system that has strong ionic character so I would like to treat the electrostatics and van der Waals interactions separately.  For example I would like to include all pairs of atoms in the electrostatics calculation but I would like to exclude 1-2 and 1-3 neighbors in the van der Waals calculation.  Is this possible to do in GROMACS?  If so, how might this be accomplished?  Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Jeff Woodford
> Assistant Professor of Chemistry
> Missouri Western State University

In a molecular system you can do this by adding the 1-2 and 1-3
interactions as pairs, assuming the list of interactions is fixed, like
in a crystal. Then you can make the LJ parameters different from the
default and scale the charges down. You probably want to use PME for
electrostatics. Check the manual!

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:	+46184714205.