[gmx-users] help with chromophore of a GFP

Anna MARABOTTI amarabotti at unisa.it
Wed Mar 20 18:01:03 CET 2013

Dear gmx-users,

it's about two weeks that I'm trying to solve this
problem, and I can't, so I'm asking your help.

I want to do some MD
simulations on a protein of the family of green fluorescent protein.
This protein, as you know, has a chromophore (CFY) derived from four
residues of the protein (F64-C65-Y66-G67) and covalently bound to the
rest of the protein chain. How to parametrize this object, since it is
not recognized by pdb2gmx? I looked at the gmx-users list and the
suggestion was to create a new entry in the .rtp file of the selected
forcefield. I decided to use Amber99SB since it seemed the better for my
scope, then I start trying to parameterize it. This is what I did:

	*

I used Pymol to add H to my pdb file, since I want to use an all H
forcefield and since Antechamber (see below) does not work without H
	*

I extracted the segment V63-CFY-H68 from my .pdb file. I did this
since, when I extracted CFY only, I had problems with the terminals
	*

Following the Antechamber tutorial, I used Antechamber (using the
traditional Amber force field, not GAFF) to calculate charges and to
assign atom types to this segment.
	*

I used these calculated
parameters in order to add the CFY residue to aminoacids.rtp in
amber99sb.ff directory.
	*

I tried to modify also aminoacids.hdb, but
since it seemed too complicated to me, I decided to keep it unchanged,
and to give pdb2gmx the protein with H already present
	*

No need to
add new atom/bond types to ffbonded.itp and ffnonbonded.itp: they seem
all present. Since CFY is bound to the rest of protein with common
peptide bonds, I did not change specbond.dat either.
	*

I added CFY
in residuetypes.dat with the specification "Protein"

In my opinion,
all was ready to go, instead...

When I launched pdb2gmx to my protein
with H added by PyMol, I got immediately an error:

Fatal error:

Atom
H01 in residue SER 3 was not found in rtp entry NSER with 13 atoms

while sorting atoms.

For a hydrogen, this can be a different
protonation state, or it

might have had a different number in the PDB
file and was rebuilt

(it might for instance have been H3, and we only
expected H1 & H2).

Note that hydrogens might have been added to the
entry for the N-terminus.

Remove this hydrogen or choose a different
protonation state to solve it.

Option -ignh will ignore all hydrogens
in the input.

For more information and tips for troubleshooting,
please check the GROMACS

website at
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors [1]

>From this error I
understand that:

	*

the code for H in PyMol is different from the
code for H in Amber (read from aminoacids.rtp); in order to correct this
error, I should add -ignh in order to ignore H in input.
	*

If I add
-ignh, all the H of CFY will be ignored too, and I will not be able to
add them since I did not modify aminoacids.hdb
	*

since I made
calculations on CFY with H added by PyMol, probably also my codes for H
will be wrong.
	*

If I use "reduce" (the Amber tool to add H, as
suggested by the tutorial) to add H to my protein, it does not add H to
CFY because it complaints that the residue is not in HETATM connection
database (but the record CONECT is present in .pdb file). If I add H to
CFY alone, I have problems with the terminals.

My question is,
obviously: how can I parameterize this chromophore correctly? Please
give me, if possible, some step-by-step indications on what to do. I
made dozens of trials, ALL with errors, and I really do not know how to
do.

Many thanks in advance and best regards

Anna

Links: