[gmx-users] proper and improper dihedrals in topology file from other ff

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 22 03:26:37 CET 2013

On 3/21/13 10:20 PM, 라지브간디 wrote:
> Dear gmx users,
>

> I am MD simulation for heme ligated protein where i given all bond and angle, dihedral information in topology file created by pd2gmx ( gromos43a1).
>

> However, i do not know how to interpret the proper and improper dihedrals in topology file? I have looked over the .rtp file and found that gromos mentioned like
>
> example:
>

> [ impropers ]
> ;  ai    aj    ak    al   gromos type
>     C2    N1    N3   NA2     gi_1
>    NA2  HA21  HA22    C2     gi_1
>     N3    C2    C4   HA3     gi_1
>

> But the the parameter  I use from literature where its in charmm and amber format as they mentioned the torsions like following way.
>

> Improper
> CPB-X-X-CR1E    90.0   0.0
> CC - X-X-NB       18.3     0.0

> How do i use this improper to utilize in gromos?

Every force field has small differences in format.  Look at ffbonded.itp for
43A1 and you will see #define statements that correspond to bonds (gb_*), angles
(ga_*), etc.  Those macros just mean "substitute this information here."  It's
shorthand.  So either you can introduce a new definition in ffbonded.itp or just
type the parameters in manually according to the format specified in the manual.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080