[gmx-users] Mismatching number of PP MPI processes and GPUs per node

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Fri Mar 22 04:10:59 CET 2013

FYI: On your machine running OpenMP across two sockets will probably not be
very efficient. Depending on the input and at how high paralleliation are
you running, you could be better off with running multiple MPI ranks per
GPU. This is a bit of an unexplained feature due to it being complicated to
use and not fully supported (does not woth with thread-MPI), but you can
essentially make  multiple MPI ranks use the same GPU by passing the ID of
the GPU you want to "overload" multiple times (and launching the correct
number of MPI ranks).

For instance, in your case you can try putting one MPI rank per socket,
both using GPU 0 by:
mpirun -np 2 -ntomp 6 mdrun_mpi -s test.tpr -deffnm test_out -nb gpu
-gpu_id 00

This is briefly explained on the wiki as well:
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Acceleration_and_parallelization#Multiple_MPI_ranks_per_GPU

Let us know whether you are able to get useful speedup from GPUs!

Cheers,

--
Szilárd