[gmx-users] combine mutiple PBDs

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 29 12:00:27 CET 2013

On 3/29/13 6:12 AM, Zalikha Ibrahim wrote:
> Hi to all GMX users,
>
> I would like to ask. Can we merge several PDB files (taken from PDB) into
> an .xtc?
> I tried using tjcat, but received the following response.
>
>> Fatal error:
>
> Different numbers of atoms (4829/5145) in files
>
> Is there any way to make trjcat ignore the difference in atoms no, or
> perhaps any other suggestion to merge them?

The integrity of an .xtc file relies on uniformity of the frames, so no, there
is no way to bypass this requirement.  What purpose do you have for merging
these files?  You might be able to create a multi-frame .pdb file by simply
using the cat command, but likely many programs will fail for the same reason.
Once a frame is interpreted, it is generally assumed that the remaining frames
will have the same contents, just different coordinates.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080