[gmx-users] About the configuration of Gromacs on multiple nodes with GPU

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Sat Mar 30 13:35:39 CET 2013

Hi,

You can certainly use your hardware setup. I assume you've been looking at
the log/console output based on which it might seem that mdrun is only
using the GPUs in the first (=master) node. However, that is not the case,
it's just that the current hardware and launch configuration reporting is
unfortunately not very flexible and it assumes homogeneous hardware and run
configuration. Whatever gets printed to the console and log shows *only*
information related to the master node. Hence, if you have inhomogeneous
hardware with different CPUs or GPUs, mdrun will try to use all resources -
as long as your launch configuration allows it.

If you want to run across inhomogeneous node configurations, you can pass
node-specific launch/run parameters to mdrun using separate environment
variables per node - the GMX_GPU_ID environment variable to set the GPUs
per node to be used and OMP_NUM_THREADS to set manually set the number of
threads per rank. What you'd need to do is to write a wrapper around mdrun
which will set GMX_GPU_ID=01 on the first node and GMX_GPU_ID=0 (or "00",
for the details see http://goo.gl/a3ZMi).

Cheers,

--
Szilárd