[gmx-users] stable branch using git

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed May 1 02:38:00 CEST 2013

On 4/30/13 8:28 PM, Sikandar Mashayak wrote:
> Thanks Justin.
>
> I replaced release-4-5-patches with release-4-6 while checking out the
> branch.
> When I installed it and checked the version string I get VERSION
> 4.6.2-dev-20130429-d13fc48.
> Does that mean I got the version which is still under development and not
> stable and tested?
> Should I be concerned using it to do a production run?

We generally discourage anyone from doing production work with anything that's
not an official release.  Anything you pull from the git repo is a work in
progress.  Periodic releases are generated when the code is believed to be
production-ready.  We do code review and build testing and each patch is as
reliable as we believe it to be :)

The reference to a "stable branch" is probably a bit misleading, but the master
branch is currently undergoing large-scale changes, leaving it perhaps a bit
more "unstable" than release-4-6.  The release-4-6 branch is the one from which
the development team is producing actual releases.

If you want the latest version, just download the 4.6.1 tarball from the Gromacs
website.  Version 4.6.2 should be out fairly soon, but there are some issues
that are still being cleaned up.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080