[gmx-users] stable branch using git

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed May 1 02:54:05 CEST 2013

On 4/30/13 8:50 PM, Sikandar Mashayak wrote:
> Hi Justin
>
> Thanks for explanation. But I am a bit confused because I am new to git.
> When I check out release-4-6 branch, the source code should be the same as
> the one in tarball from Gromacs website, right? When I run git status I get
> # On branch release-4-6
> nothing to commit (working directory clean), I believe that means I have
> the released version of the code.

The git version is not the same as the tarball.  The only time the git repo and
source tarball coincide is exactly when a release is produced (i.e. when a new
version is tagged in the git repo).  There have been numerous patches to the git
repo since 4.6.1 was released.

> The reason I am doing this is that I want to have just one directory for
> gromacs with subdirectories for its src, build and binaries. And in future,
> instead of downloading new releases, I want to just pull the changes and
> re-build. Also, I plan to clone the same src directory on my different
> machines, so that I can have the same version on all machines. Hopefully,
> in the future I may start doing some modifications here n there.

That's what git will allow you to do.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080