[gmx-users] stable branch using git

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Wed May 1 23:28:18 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Sikandar Mashayak <symashayak at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks Justin and Mark
>
> I think I would checkout and create a branch from v4.6 tag.

You don't need a branch until you are going to develop something. And there
is no reason to make an install of an old point release for new work when
bugs are fixed and available in 4.6.1.

One more thing, would it be an issue if I install mulitple
> version's/branche's binaries and libraries in the same folder with branch
> specific suffixes to distinguish between them?

You can do that. Or install into different directories and source the GMXRC
from the version you wish to use. Since you'll have to source a GMXRC
anyway, you may as well do the latter and not have to write scripts/command
lines that specify the version on every command.