[gmx-users] mdrun-gpu error message on Gromacs 4.5.5

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue May 7 13:30:34 CEST 2013

On 5/6/13 9:39 PM, Andrew DeYoung wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running mdrun-gpu on Gromacs 4.5.5 (with OpenMM).  This is my first
> time using a GPU.  I get the following error message when attempting to run
> mdrun-gpu with my .tpr file:

> Program mdrun-gpu, VERSION 4.5.5
> Source code file:
> /usr/local/src/gromacs-4.5.5/src/kernel/openmm_wrapper.cpp, line: 1365
>
> Fatal error:
> OpenMM exception caught while initializating: getPropertyValue: Illegal
> property name
>
> I get this error when calling with:
>
> mdrun-gpu -s topol.tpr
>
> and with:
>
> mdrun-gpu -device
> "OpenMM:platform=Cuda,memtest=15,deviceid=0,force-device=no" -s topol.tpr
>
> I can't seem to find this particular error message in the documentation or
> previously discussed on this mailing list.  Does this error message suggest
> that I am calling mdrun-gpu incorrectly, or that OpenMM is improperly
> installed?

It looks to be a rather generic OpenMM error message, which unfortunately isn't
very helpful.  I got lots of those, along with random failures, that led me to
abandon using OpenMM within Gromacs.  Support for OpenMM in Gromacs is limited
at best, as OpenMM is being deprecated.  Is there any reason you're not using
the native GPU support from 4.6.1?  The only reason to try to use OpenMM is for
GPU-accelerated implicit solvent simulations, so if that's what you're doing I
can understand.  Otherwise, use 4.6.1.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080