[gmx-users] Usage of g_spatial

Venkat Reddy venkat4bt at gmail.com
Wed May 8 13:18:57 CEST 2013

Sir

Yes, trjconv works without tpr. Thanks for that.

I want to see the distribution of anion around cation. Is it not possible
to see an averaged spatial distribution of all anions around all cations?
Do I need to make a selection of a single cation molecule?

I did the selection of a single cation molecule which is approximately at
the center of the box and did the following

step 1: trjconv -s 1md.pdb -f 11md_gro.pdb -o 11md_gro_mod.pdb -center -ur
compact -pbc none
when it asked for group for centering and output, I selected the whole
system for both.

step 2: trjconv -s 1md.pdb -f 11md_gro_mod.pdb -o 11md_gro_mod1.pdb -fit
rot+trans
when it asked for group for least square once again I selected the whole
system

I selected the whole system as a previous discussion
http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2010-May/050879.html

suggested the same because of an error that was happening in step 2.

*Fatal error: Index[2385] 2410 is larger than the number of atoms in**
the trajectory file (2409).
*
Since I was getting the same error if I made any form of selections in
the first two steps, I output the whole system.

step 3: g_spatial. and used ANI as group to generate SDF and a single
cation residue as the group to output coords

        When I loaded the resultant cube in vmd I could see the whole
distribution.

Where am I going wrong?

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Christopher Neale <
chris.neale at mail.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Try this:
>
> trjconv -s my.pdb -f my.pdb -o mymod.pdb
> g_spatial -s mymod.pdb -f mymod.pdb
>
> For the pre-processing, there must also be AMBER tools that will do this
> for you if for some reason the above does not work for you (e.g. Option
> -pbc mol requires a .tpr file for the -s option)
>
> Chris.

With Best Wishes
Venkat Reddy Chirasani
PhD student