[gmx-users] Re: Langevin thermostat implementation in GROMACS vs AMBER

Julian Garrec julian.garrec at epfl.ch
Wed May 8 22:12:45 CEST 2013

Le 08/05/13 19:33, Christoph Junghans a écrit :
>> Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 16:34:46 +0200
>> From: Julian Garrec <julian.garrec at epfl.ch>
>> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Langevin thermostat implementation in GROMACS
>>          vs AMBER
>> To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>>
>> No suggestion ?? :)
>>
>> In my post I forgot to say that my system contains explicit water.
>>
>> I'm still very curious about the difference in implementation in AMBER
>> and GROMACS. And I still don't really understand the meanning of tau-t
>> in LD and how  it is related to other (well defined) quantities such as
>> the friction coeficient in equation 3.114 of the manual (v4.6.1).
> I am not really sure what your question is, section 7.3.3 is pretty
> clear about that:
> "the inverse friction constant for each group is set with tau-t", so
> gamma_i=1/tau-t, which also makes sense unit-wise as gamma has units
> 1/ps and tau-t ps
>
> bd-fric is only used for the Brownian dynamics integrator and if
> bd-fric=0, the friction is calculated as mass/tau-t. It might be a bit
> misleading that bd-fric is listed under section 7.3.4 (Langevin
> dynamics), but that stems from the fact that Brownian dynamics is the
> overdamped case of stochastic dynamics and hence it is Langevin
> Dynamics, too, just in a different limit.
>
> Christoph
Dear Christoph,

Thank you very much for your reply. Actually I am not so much confused
about the theory :) , but more about how it is implemented, and how this
implementation differs in GROMACS vs AMBER.

Yes, BD is a limiting case of LD, but still both are implemented with
different integrators in GROMACS (integrator=sd/bd). From the manual, it
is clear that both {integrator=bd} and {integrator=bd} can be combined
with the option bd-fric=0, so I am not so sure that the usage of bd-fric
is restricted to BD...

Anyway, you are right that it make sense that "gamma_i=1/tau-t", so I
will keep using {integrator=sd ; bd-fric=0 ; tau-t=XX}.

Many thanks again,

Julian

--
Julian Garrec, research associate

Web: https://sites.google.com/site/juliangarrec/

Équipe : Chimie et Biochimie Théoriques
Unité Mixte de Recherches CNRS UHP 7565
Université de Lorraine, Nancy I BP 239,
54506 Vandoeuvre-lès-Nancy, cedex France