[gmx-users] error after grompp

Nur Syafiqah Abdul Ghani pqah123 at gmail.com
Thu May 9 06:45:45 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I need to do simulation which same as protein-ligand tutorial by Justin.
The different is i'm using my protein and the ligand was zinc.
I already follow everything in that tutorial and suddenly when i want
to heat my protein by using the nvt.mdp there was an error state like
below :

Fatal error:
Atom 410 in multiple T-Coupling groups (1 and 2)

Actually I do not understand what the error said even when i'm Google
it to forum there was no one
facing like mine..Here i put together my topology and the nvt.mdp.
Hope you can give me some idea that i cant see.

Another question,why is in the nvt.mdp at the temperature coupling
there were twice of 300 of tcoupl and also the tau_t : 01. 01. Can u
explain it why?

topology :

; Include forcefield parameters
#include "gromos53a6.ff/forcefield.itp"

; Include chain topologies
#include "metal_Protein_chain_A.itp"

; Include position restraint for protein
#ifdef POSRES
#include "posre_Protein_chain_A.itp"
#endif

; Include ion chain topologies
#include "metal_Ion_chain_A2.itp"

; Include position restraint for metal
#ifdef POSRES_ION
#include "posre_Ion_chain_A2.itp"
#endif

; Include water topology
#include "gromos53a6.ff/spc.itp"

#ifdef POSRES_WATER
; Position restraint for each water oxygen
[ position_restraints ]
;  i funct       fcx        fcy        fcz
   1    1       1000       1000       1000
#endif

; Include topology for ions
#include "gromos53a6.ff/ions.itp"

[ system ]
; Name
Protein in water

[ molecules ]
; Compound        #mols
Protein_chain_A     1
Ion_chain_A2        1
SOL         8780
NA               1

nvt.mdp :

title       = Protein-ligand complex NVT equilibration
cpp             = /usr/bin/cpp
include         = -I/usr/share/gromacs/top
define      = -DPOSRES  ; position restrain the protein and ligand
; Run parameters
integrator  = md        ; leap-frog integrator
nsteps      = 50000     ; 2 * 50000 = 100 ps
dt          = 0.002     ; 2 fs
; Output control
nstxout     = 100       ; save coordinates every 0.2 ps
nstvout     = 100       ; save velocities every 0.2 ps
nstenergy   = 100       ; save energies every 0.2 ps
nstlog      = 100       ; update log file every 0.2 ps
energygrps  = Protein ZN
; Bond parameters
continuation    = no            ; first dynamics run
constraint_algorithm = lincs    ; holonomic constraints
constraints     = all-bonds     ; all bonds (even heavy atom-H bonds)
constrained
lincs_iter      = 1             ; accuracy of LINCS
lincs_order     = 4             ; also related to accuracy
; Neighborsearching
ns_type     = grid      ; search neighboring grid cells
nstlist     = 10        ; 10 fs
rlist       = 1.4       ; short-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
rcoulomb    = 1.4       ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
rvdw        = 1.4       ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
; Electrostatics
coulombtype     = PME       ; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range electrostatics
pme_order       = 4         ; cubic interpolation
fourierspacing  = 0.16      ; grid spacing for FFT
; Temperature coupling
tcoupl      = V-rescale                     ; modified Berendsen thermostat
tc-grps     = Protein_ZN Water_and_ions    ; two coupling groups - more accurate
tau_t       = 0.1 0.1                     ; time constant, in ps
ref_t       = 300 300                     ; reference temperature, one
for each group, in K
; Pressure coupling
pcoupl      = no        ; no pressure coupling in NVT
; Periodic boundary conditions
pbc         = xyz       ; 3-D PBC
; Dispersion correction
DispCorr    = EnerPres  ; account for cut-off vdW scheme
; Velocity generation
gen_vel     = yes       ; assign velocities from Maxwell distribution
gen_temp    = 300       ; temperature for Maxwell distribution
gen_seed    = -1        ; generate a random seed

Thanks for your help in advance,

Nur Syafiqah Abdul Ghani,
Theoretical and Computational Chemistry Laboratory,
Department of Chemistry,
Faculty of Science,
Universiti Putra Malaysia,
43400 Serdang,