[gmx-users] Charmm27 potential energies.

Dr. Vitaly Chaban vvchaban at gmail.com
Fri May 10 07:45:41 CEST 2013

The positive charge on the alpha-carbon should be expected. Many methods
(not only DFT) will predict tiny non-zero charges even on more remote
carbons, if you consider deprotonated form.

Protonated form is a neutral molecule. So, alpha -CH2- may be acceptably
described as having a a zero charge in total. You can distribute the +1e
charge throughout COOH (for instance, uniformly with respect to what you
have in COO(-)) to make it also neutral in total.

On a related note, it is not very time consuming to calculate electronic
structures of CH3-COOH(0e) and CH3-COO(-1e) and derive better electrostatic
charges for each site.

Dr. Vitaly Chaban