[gmx-users] Usage of g_spatial

Christopher Neale chris.neale at mail.utoronto.ca
Tue May 14 22:26:55 CEST 2013

Sounds like a trjconv problem, not a g_spatial problem to me. You should center only the group that
makes sense for your SDF -- you probably want to pick a single cation for this (then, separately, do another
run selecting a single anion; each will be used to generate a separate SDF). Then output the whole system.
This should work. If not, then I suggest that you start a new post with a relevant title and figure out what you
are doing wrong with trjconv ... you'll need to post actual commands there with associated error messages.

If you want to output only a portion of the system in your step 1, then you need to provide a -s input with the same
number of atoms in step 2. Nevertheless, just use the whole system for trjconv for now since it should work.

Regarding your "seeing the whole distribution" for ANI from g_spatial output in VMD, I don't understand what you
see and what you expect/want to see. Try posting a figure somewhere online and post with its location and
a description of what you want to obtain.

If you want the distribution of all C cations around the average of all A anions, then you need to create a trajectory
that is A times as long as your real trajectory and reorder the coordinates so that each anion has a turn
being residue number N. Then center your whole trajectory about residue N. This is a hack, but it works for me
and I think is what you want. Also, the tool g_sdf does this on its own so you might look online for an older
version of it. I found it less useful than g_spatial for my purposes, but some users have found it to be the perfect
tool.

Chris.