[gmx-users] g_dist problem in Implicit solvent

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed May 15 02:34:49 CEST 2013

On 5/14/13 7:26 PM, Tong Li wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I got this problem recently. I want to use g_dist to calculate the distance between two group in my simulation system. However, when I use the implicit solvent for simulation, g_dist went into this problem: Molecule in topology has atom numbers below and above natoms.
>
> I have used tpbconv to create a new tpr file, and also used gmxcheck to check my traj file, they are all consistent. Also, I have never run into this problem when I was using explicit solvent. Hence, I highly suspect this problem comes from the implicit solvent.

So, just to clarify, did you run an implicit solvent simulation, or did you
simply remove the water from your .tpr file to do analysis and post-processing?
  The latter is particularly error-prone and can be the source of your problem.
  I have never had issues in using analysis tools with true implicit solvent
simulations.

In any case, gmxcheck should be useful in telling you about the contents of the
index groups.  Just because there are the "right" number of atoms in the system,
does not mean that the atom numbers are necessarily within that number if you
stripped other coordinates out.

-Justin

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080