[gmx-users] Parrinello-Rahman and Simulated Annealing

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue May 21 13:59:37 CEST 2013

On 5/21/13 7:55 AM, Baptiste Demoulin wrote:
> Dear Gromacs users,
>
> I am trying to simulate a large systems embeded in a membrane (roughly
> 360,000 atoms). I would like to equilibrate it at 300K and 1 atm. To this
> mean, I use simulated annealing to slowly warm up the system from 50 to
> 300K, under NPT conditions.
>
> For the simulation, I use position restraints on the heavy atoms on the
> protein, and stronger constraints on the metallic core, and LINCS to
> constrain all the bonds, and 2 fs timestep.
>
> My problem is that when I use Parrinello-Rahman barostat for the
> simulation, I got LINCS warning concerning the restrained metallic core.
> However, using Berendsen barostat for the same system, same input, seems to
> work fine, (at least for the 200,900 steps I did until now). I thus tried
> various modifications, such as changing the coupling tau_p, running first a
> pure NVT at 50K for 2 ps, and then warming, but that did not work... Is
> there an incompatibility between Parrinello-Rahman and simulated annealing
> ?

Parrinello-Rahman allows for much wider fluctuations than the Berendsen
algorithm, so I can see how warming the system may cause problems unless it is
very well equilibrated beforehand.  Assuming that the annealing step is a
preparatory step, there is no compelling need to use P-R, is there?  If there
is, you may just have to do the annealing over a much longer time period such
that the change in temperature is (very) long with respect to tau_p, to allow
for the barostat to adjust to changing conditions.

-Justin

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080