[gmx-users] mdrun generate a lot of files with #

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu May 23 19:04:38 CEST 2013

On 5/23/13 12:53 PM, mu xiaojia wrote:
> Dear users,
>
> I have used gromacs a while, however, sometime, when I run it on
> supercomputer-clusters, I saw mdrun will generate a lot of files with "#",
> which occupied a lot of space, does anyone know why and how to avoid it?
>
> Thanks
>
> example, my command"mdrun_mpi -s -deffnm job -cpi -append"
>
> then besides ordinary md result files,  it will also generate things like:
>
> #job.xtc.1#   #job.xvg.1#  job

These are backups of previous runs that have been issued with the same command.
  All Gromacs commands have this behavior - rather than overwriting your files,
it backs them up.  Either clean up your directories prior to issuing your
commands, or use unique file names or directories.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080