[gmx-users] Re:The effect of coulomb-modifier and vdw-modifier in Verlet cutoff scheme

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Fri May 24 08:54:45 CEST 2013

You don't "turn on" those modifiers, you choose to shift the potential. (In
the future there might be more options.) Shifting the potential is quite
different from the action of vdwtype=shift, see manual 4.1, 7.3. The
potential should be the integral of the force, if you want it to mean
anything. Whether that's important depends what you're doing and want to
observe. The potential is irrelevant if you are just sampling space to see
what is there, but it's critical if you're trying to compute thermodynamic
properties.

Mark