[gmx-users] Re: GPU-based workstation

James Starlight jmsstarlight at gmail.com
Fri May 24 14:56:46 CEST 2013

In particular I'd like to more carefully choose gpu card (and number of
cards) as well as CPU

1) In case of GPU I have to possible options
2 x GeForce 680 (256 bit, 4gb ram ) or 1 x  Geforce 690 (320 bit, 6 gb ram).
>From what option the best performance should be expected ? What GPU's
parameters would be most crucial for simulations ?

2) In case of CPU I'd like to use Core i7 (4 cores). Should the performance
with that CPU be better than with Core I5 ( also 4 cores) ?

3) Any other setups ? (e.g based on the server-like hardware Xeon CPU )
Could also someone provide me with some bechmark tests of new Gromacs 4.6
with different hardware setups ?

Thanks for help

James