Aw: Re: [gmx-users] GPU-based workstation

Broadbent, Richard richard.broadbent09 at imperial.ac.uk
Sat May 25 14:16:41 CEST 2013

I've been running on my Universities GPU nodes these are one E5-xeon (6-cores 12 threads)  and have 4 Nvidia 690gtx's. My system is 93 000 atoms of DMF under NVE.  The performance has been a little disappointing ~10ns/day. On my home system using a core i5-2500 and a nvidia 560ti I get 5.4ns/day for the same system. On our HPC system using 32 nodes each with 2 quad-core xeon processors I get 30-40ns/day.

I think that to achieve reasonable performance the system has to be balanced between CPU's and GPU's probably getting 2 high end GPU's and a top end xeon E5 or core i7 would be a good choice.

Richard