[gmx-users] GPU-based workstation

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Tue May 28 19:50:43 CEST 2013

Dear all,

As far as I understand, the OP is interested in hardware for *running*
GROMACS 4.6 rather than developing code. or running LINPACK.

To get best performance it is important to use a machine with hardware
balanced for GROMACS' workloads. Too little GPU resources will result
in CPU idling; too much GPU resources will lead to the runs being CPU
or multi-GPU scaling bound and above a certain level GROMACS won't be
able to make use of additional GPUs.

Of course, the balance will depend both on hardware and simulation
settings (mostly the LJ cut-off used).

An additional factor to consider is typical system size. To reach near
peak pair-force throughput on GPUs you typically need >20k-40k
particles/GPU (depends on the architecture) and throughput drops below
these values. Hence, in most cases it is preferred to use fewer and
faster GPUs rather than more.

Without knowing the budgdet and indented use of the machine it is hard
to make suggestions, but I would say for a budget desktop box a
quad-core Intel Ivy Bridge or the top-end AMD Piledriver CPU with a
fast Kepler GTX card (e.g. GTX 680 or GTX 770/780) should work well.
If you're considering dual-socket workstations, I suggest you go with
the higher core-count and higher frequency Intel CPUs (6+ cores >2.2
GHz), otherwise you may not see as much benefit as you would expect
based on the insane price tag (especially if you compare to an i7
3939K or its IVB successor).

Cheers,
--
Szilárd