[gmx-users] Re: GPU-based workstation

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Tue May 28 20:21:18 CEST 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 10:14 AM, James Starlight
<jmsstarlight at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've found GTX Titat with 6gb of RAM and 384 bit. The price of such card is
> equal to the price of the latest TESLA cards.

Nope!

Titan: $1000
Tesla K10: $2750
Tesla K20(c): $3000

TITAN is cheaper than any Tesla and the fastest of all NVIDIA GPUs (in
most cases).

>  Could it give me better performance in gromacs ?

The GROMACS GPU kernels are ~40% faster than on a GTX 680 and ~25%
faster than a K20, but when it comes to total performance, the
differences will obviously be smaller.

> Also assuming that 1 such card need 600 WATT power supply what supply I
> need for desktop with two such cards?

Nope. The peak power consumption of a TITAN is 250W and in
compute-only applications I doubt it draws more than max 70-80% of
that. With GROMACS as the GPU is only busy at most 70-80% of the time,
the effective consumption will scale roughly with those numbers. You
should use one of the online PSU calculators.