[gmx-users] Question regarding g_order

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Oct 3 18:30:59 CEST 2013

On 10/3/13 11:50 AM, sa wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am trying to compute the order parameters for the sn1 and sn2 chains of
> DOPC (CHARMM36)  in bilayer . I am using the g_order tool (v4.6.3).
> I have constructed for  each DOPC chain two index files that contains in
> the first one all the Carbon atoms where the first Carbon is C=O and the
> last one is the last methyl. The second index file for the unsat
> calculations contains only the carbons of the C-C9=C10-C.
>
> I am confused here, since the file obtained from g_order w/o the -unsat
> argument contains only 16 values and in case of the file generated with
> g_order w the -unsat argument 2 values. I am aware that I need to replace
> the 9 -10 values in first by those of the second file. However I would like

Remember to renumber the first file so it starts with carbon 2, then make the
replacements.

> to compare my SCD values with those obtained by Jämbeck and P. Lyubartsev
> (figure 2 in ref [1] ), The authors present graph for DOPC with 17 values.
> How it is possible? Did I miss something, here?

I would suggest you contact the authors directly.  I see the same thing
frequently from other groups that have used Gromacs, but I cannot ever get the
same outcome, which seems to indicate to me that they are using a modified
version of g_order or they are somehow extrapolating their values.  In any case,
if you figure out how they're doing it, please report back because this is a FAQ
on this list when it comes to lipid analysis.

-Justin

> -- g_order w/o unsat
> # g_order_mpi is part of G R O M A C S:
> #
> # GROup of MAchos and Cynical Suckers
> #
> @    title "Deuterium order parameters"
> @    xaxis  label "Atom"
> @    yaxis  label "Scd"
> @TYPE xy
>             1        0.20508
>             2       0.148241
>             3       0.184247
>             4       0.184565
>             5       0.184457
>             6       0.166101
>             7       0.118359
>             8      0.0774722
>             9      0.0703466
>            10      0.0511651
>            11      0.0977673
>            12      0.0968413
>            13       0.100903
>            14      0.0869513
>            15      0.0806322
>            16      0.0602708
>
> -- g_order w/ unsat
> # g_order_mpi is part of G R O M A C S:
> #
> # GRoups of Organic Molecules in ACtion for Science
> #
> @    title "Deuterium order parameters"
> @    xaxis  label "Atom"
> @    yaxis  label "Scd"