[gmx-users] change of bilayer structure during NVT equilibration

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Oct 6 16:25:11 CEST 2013

On 10/6/13 10:03 AM, shahab shariati wrote:
> Dear gromacs users
>
> My system contains DOPC + CHOLESTEROLO + WATER in a rectangular box.
>
> I did energy minimization successfully with following mdp file.
> ; Parameters describing what to do, when to stop and what to save
> integrator    = steep        ; Algorithm (steep = steepest descent
> minimization)
> emtol        = 1000.0      ; Stop minimization when the maximum force <
> 1000.0 kJ/mol/nm
> emstep      = 0.01      ; Energy step size
> nsteps        = 50000          ; Maximum number of (minimization) steps to
> perform
>
> ; Parameters describing how to find the neighbors of each atom
> nstlist        = 1            ; Frequency to update the neighbor list and
> long range forces
> ns_type        = grid        ; Method to determine neighbor list (simple,
> grid)
> rlist        = 1.2        ; Cut-off for making neighbor list (short range
> forces)
> coulombtype    = PME        ; Treatment of long range electrostatic
> interactions
> rcoulomb    = 1.2        ; Short-range electrostatic cut-off
> rvdw        = 1.2        ; Short-range Van der Waals cut-off
> pbc            = xyz         ; Periodic Boundary Conditions
>
> After energy minimization, I saw obtained file (em.gro) by VMD. All things
> were true
> and intact.
>
> I did equilibration in NVT ensemble with following mdp file.
> title        = NVT equilibration
> ; Run parameters
> integrator    = md                   ; leap-frog integrator
> nsteps        = 7500000                  ; 2 * 7500000 = 15 ns
> dt            = 0.002                   ; 2 fs
> ; Output control
> nstxout        = 1000                   ; save coordinates every 0.2 ps
> nstvout        = 1000                   ; save velocities every 0.2 ps
> nstxtcout   = 1000
> nstenergy    = 1000                   ; save energies every 0.2 ps
> nstlog        = 1000                   ; update log file every 0.2 ps
> ; Bond parameters
> continuation    = no            ; first dynamics run
> constraint_algorithm = lincs    ; holonomic constraints
> constraints    = all-bonds            ; all bonds (even heavy atom-H bonds)
> constrained
> lincs_iter    = 1                    ; accuracy of LINCS
> lincs_order    = 4                    ; also related to accuracy
> ; Neighborsearching
> ns_type        = grid                  ; search neighboring grid cels
> nstlist        = 5                    ; 10 fs
> rlist        = 1.2                  ; short-range neighborlist cutoff (in
> nm)
> rcoulomb    = 1.2                  ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in
> nm)
> rvdw        = 1.2                  ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in
> [...]

Depends on how you prepared the system.  Probably there were voids in the
solvent or lipid headgroups that caused distortion in the system.  Restraints on
the lipid headgroups along z could help.  I also see no reason for 15 ns of NVT.
  A short NVT is all that should be necessary, on the order of 100-500 ps,
especially when using V-rescale, which relaxes quickly to the target temperature.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601