[gmx-users] Bilayer thickness

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Oct 7 14:06:09 CEST 2013

On 10/7/13 8:00 AM, Archana Sonawani-Jagtap wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have used Grid-Mat program for calculating bilayer thickness and area per
> lipid for POPC bilayer.
>
> For bilayer thickness, without peptide, it provides the lateral area of
> system in angstrom sq. and also APL. (keeping APL as no)
>
> I separately calculated the APL with peptide, It also provides the lateral
> area of system and APL.(keeping thickness as no)
>
> which lateral area has to be considered as the thickness of the bilayer in
> terms of nm? both have different values. I am confused.

Lateral area and thickness are different concepts, so I'm not sure what your
question is.  The thickness values are mostly for plotting purposes, though you
can average them and get a results reasonably similar to what you would get with
g_dist.  The APL values are reported individually for every lipid in the output
file and the average ± std dev is printed to the screen.  In the absence of your
actual input files and the output produced, there's not much else I can offer to
help.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy